Posted on: 17 July 2020
Are you ready to start a new career in the healthcare field? Have you explored certified medical assistant online programs? Before you apply to CMA school, take a look at the dos and don'ts of the preparation process.
Do Talk to a Professional in the Field
What is it really like to work as a certified medical assistant? Even though you may have an idea, a working professional can help you to better understand what you should or could expect. A meet and greet with a medical assistant can:
- Give you a realistic picture of the job. The professional can detail their day, helping you to better understand what the job demands include.
- Offer a job shadow. If words aren't enough, learn by doing. The professional may offer to have you shadow them during their daily work. As the name implies, you'll shadow (or follow) the CMA during a shift or workday.
- Provide networking information. Not only can you learn more about the field from a professional medical assistant, but you can also make contact with a potential employer. After you complete your online medical assistant classes, the professional can help you with a job search.
A CMA professional can also help you to learn more about school will include. Ask the medical assistant about what they studied, why they choose their program, and how long it took to complete a degree.
Don't Skip Steps
Even though some of the program's prep steps may seem minor or unnecessary, don't skip anything the school recommends or requires. These steps may include:
- Prerequisites. Does the program require prerequisite classes? If so, make sure to complete all coursework before you start your medical assisting online degree.
- Technical requirements. It's likely the online degree program comes with a specific set of technical requirements. Make sure you meet these before you start school. You may need to buy a new computer or invest in software.
- Transcripts. Do you need to submit transcripts to the program's staff? Verify transcript requirements before you start the application process.
- References. Does the certified medical assistant online program require professional or educational references? Ask the admissions staff about this requirement prior to applying. If you do need references, make sure they meet the school's standards.
After completion of the preparation steps, you're ready to start school—almost. You may also need to pay or create a payment plan before the school allows you to start classes. Discuss financial aid, scholarship, or payment options with the school's staff and get ready for your new educational adventure.
To learn more about Certified Medical Assistant Online Programs, feel free to reach out to schools that offer the program.Share